Skip to main content


What Parents Need To Know

Child Care Types

  • Child care centers are facilities that may provide care for infants, toddlers, preschoolers and school-age children for all or part of the day. Child Care Centers are licensed by the state of Ohio and required to submit to fingerprint clearances and criminal background checks for all employees. 

  • Family Child Care Homes are child care offered in the home. Often, care is provided for a mixed age group of children. FCC homes are licensed by the state of Ohio and required to pass fingerprint/criminal background checks.

  • Head Start or Public Preschool

    Head Start is a federal program that promotes the school readiness of children ages birth to five for low-income families by enhancing their cognitive, social, and emotional development.

    The Ohio Department of Education (ODE) has awarded Early Childhood Education funding to city, local, exempted village, joint vocational school districts or Educational Service Centers to provide preschool services for three- and four-year-olds of income-eligible families. A school district may contract with a Head Start agency, chartered nonpublic school, Educational Service Centers or licensed child care to provide the preschool services.

Do You Need Help Paying for Child Care?

Child care is often a family's biggest expense after housing, food and taxes. Juggling child care costs and a parent's earnings can be especially challenging for low income families who need child care in order to go to work, while at the same time need to use some of the money they earn to pay for care.

Contact the CCRC’s Parent and Community Services Specialist. We can connect you to resources you need to find financial assistance and financial aid for child care. Funds are available to eligible families through county subsidy programs, scholarship programs and grant funded projects in North Central Ohio. There is no shame in using these public supports and we can assist you in applying or plugging into these resources. Contact the CCRC at 440-242-0413 ext. 229 today for more information.

To apply for  county subsidy, please call the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services in the county where you live.

  • Erie County Subsidy


  • Huron County Subsidy


  • Lorain County Subsidy


  • Sandusky County Subsidy


  • Seneca County Subsidy


Child Care Licensing

Ohio Child Care Licensing sets minimum standards for:

  • health,
  • safety,
  • staff education,
  • staff ratios,
  • program requirements,
  • and nutritious meals 

Information about licensed programs can be found at the Ohio  Department of Job and Family Services website at

You can also see past inspection reports for all licensed child care programs in the State of Ohio.  The reports will show non-compliance and Serious Risk Rule non-compliance - These are issues that you should pay close attention to when choosing quality care for your child.

Serious Risk Rule Violations will show up on the report in RED.