Quality care and learning supports for the afterschool programs in North Central Ohio is supported through developed trainings and tools, supported by current research and best practices, for professionals in programs serving children and youth and implemented by the CCRC's Afterschool Specialist.
Through professional development, technical assistance and resources, afterschool professionals have the opportunity to expand their knowledge and practice to provide enriching and fun learning experiences.
1. Technical Assistance - the CCRC's Afterschool Specialist offers technical assistance (sharing best practices, offering ideas, answering questions, and access to resources) to early care and learning programs, 21st Century Learning Centers, camps, youth programs (i.e. boys and girls clubs, etc.)
Technical assistance and coaching topics include many aspects of afterschool programming, including:
- STEM Implementation
- Creating optimal environments
- Implementing intentional learning and enrichment experiences
- Behavior management
- Summer camp planning
The CCRC's Afterschool Specialist is trained in the School Age Environment Rating Scale (SACERS) which is an assessment tool for programs serving children ages 5-12.
2. Professional Development - Professional development is available to any afterschool professional who is interested in strengthening their knowledge
and practice. Some Afterschool Initiative trainings include:
- It's Teachable: How to Create a Curriculum
- Juvanescence: A Providers' Guide to Adolescent Development and Behavior
- Multicultural Art Activities from Around the World
Contact Anita St. John, the CCRC's Afterschool Specialist to receive information, training or support at 440-242-0413 ext. 236 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.