Substitute Job Description
Early Childhood Substitute Teacher
General Position Description
The Substitute Teacher provides backup teaching services for a variety of child care centers throughout Lorain, Erie, and Cuyahoga Counties. Children in the centers have ages ranging from 6 weeks to 12 years. The Substitute Teacher assists in creating and maintaining a respectful classroom culture that fosters safe and productive learning. The Substitute Teacher monitors, observes, and reports behaviors. The Substitute Teacher follows all child care centers policies and
procedures as, well as state regulations, quality requirements, and standards. The system in which a substitute maintains their employment is fully automated, and substitutes will be notified via email, phone, or text message (your preference) when an assignment opens up.
• Implement educational curriculum by developing classroom activities based on developmentally appropriate practices and early learning standards.
• Implement individual and group age-appropriate activities to actively engage children and encourage social, cognitive and emotional growth.
• Ensure all center policies and state regulations are met and maintained in the classroom you are in.
• Ensure a healthy classroom environment – including maintaining appropriate hygiene and cleanliness standards and safety and security of children.
• Maintain a well-managed classroom and positive environment.
• Maintain personal professional development plan to ensure continuous quality improvement. Additional Knowledge, Skills and Experience Preferred
• Oral and written communication skills.
• Basic computer skills.
• A basic understanding of child development.
• High energy and the ability to work well with others (staff, children, and parents) and to foster a team environment.
Meet Onboarding Requirements
• Successfully pass a background check.
• Complete a medical/physical examination.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Previous childcare experience preferred but not required.